IDEAS COMPETITION FOR THE DESIGN AND EXECUTION OF EPHEMERAL ELEMENTS WITHIN PARAL·LEL FESTIVAL’S FRAME
Paral·lel Festival will be holding its second edition on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of September, 2017, within the premises of Cal Companyó, in Guardiola de Berguedà (Barcelona). Paral·lel Festival has curated a musical selection based largely on uniqueness, promoting differentiated and disruptive musical paradigms. DJs from the international scene will explore experimental, ambient, and techno musical aesthetics over the course of 3 days on a single stage. Each performance will organically link the previous and subsequent performance, forming a narrative that weaves through a balanced day-and-night program.
An inspiring environment, precise musical selection, and the comfort of our attendees are the three utmost central axes for our organization team. The gathering takes place in the surroundings of a Catalan rural house in the pre-Pyrenees, 1 hour and 30 minutes far away from Barcelona. Tickets are strictly limited to 1,000.
Paral·lel Festival’s organization (http://www.parallelfestival.com/), in collaboration with Urban Perspectives (http://www.urbanperspectives.org/), holds this ideas competition for the design and execution of representative elements within the festival. It is an international contest, open to students and graduated students of any discipline related to construction design, as well as to any group of people being able to represent and materialize their idea. The festival offers its space as a creative experimentation field so that every single proposal (taking into account their ephemerality) serves as a driving element for the whole event’s organization.
The competition aim is the design and construction of different representative elements within the festival premises:
● Access to the festival premises
● Tickets sales point
● Meeting point
● Sign posting (toilets, camping area, first aid…)
● Shading elements and/or chill out areas
The awarded projects must be built by the competitors on their own during the days before the festival, which represents a unique opportunity to design a project and materialize it on a 1:1 scale.
It will be positively valued:
● The originality of the proposals
● Their ephemeral nature
● Their easy construction (no need of scaffoldings, electric or quite specific tools, nor skilled workforce)
● The use of existing materials in the environment (like scattered tree branches and trunks), giving priority to any kind of organic materials in order to reduce the transport of materials and the generation of waste
● The cost (each project must have a cost value under 100€, including tools and materials)
3. CONDITIONS TO ENTRY
Groups from 2 to 5 people of students and graduated students of any discipline related to construction design, as well as to any group of people being able to represent and materialize their idea are encourage to participate. Each participant will be able to present more than one proposal, in which case the deliveries will have to be sent independently.
The teams participating in the competition must be available between the 28th of August and the 4th of September, 2017, and be able to get to Cal Companyó, in Guardiola de Berguedà (Barcelona).
4. SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
The digital submission will consist of:
● Two A3 sheets in just one PDF file, in horizontal (landscape). The sheets must contain one slogan, which will be used to identify the authors of the winning project (File: “Slogan_A3.pdf”)
● One A4 sheet containing a table with the needed materials and tools for the execution and their cost (File: “Slogan_A4.pdf”)
The submission deadline is the 21st of July of 2017, by 11:59 pm (CET). The proposals must be sent to email@example.com with the subject “Paral·lel Competition”.
Within the email body it must be indicted the personal data of the participating team: names and contact telephone numbers, as well as the slogan appearing in the PDFs. The files must be sent using any of the available file sharing services (wetransfer, dropbox, googledrive,…).
● Passes to the festival for all the winners
● Petrol expenses or expenses covered for an alternative way of transport to/from the festival
● Accommodation according to the organization possibilities from 28th of August to 4th of September (from Monday to Monday)
● Announcement of the winning projects at the festival website, as well as in all the communication channels of the organization (newsletter, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
● Communication of the projects through the different festival media partners, sponsors and institutions
The number of prizes is unlimited and may be declared null and void.
The participation in the competition is free of charge. No prior registration is needed.
Enquiries shall be addressed directly by email to Paral·lel Festival’s mail address firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject “Enquiry Paral·lel Competition”.
The festival will take place on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of September. Participants must be available from the 28th of August to the 4th of September, when they will have to assemble/disassemble their installations and enjoy the festival.
The awarded competitors will be informed before the 28th of July of 2017.
Paral·lel Festival’ Organisation
Urban Perspectives Members